By changing the Hotmail security setting, I mean the mobile number or the alternative email address that you have provided while in sign up process.
But if you haven’t added any numbers or emails then you can follow the same steps described here to add it. Also, if you want to update the info, follow these simple steps.
Before discussing the steps, let us learn what is security settings and why you should add it in your account.
Security settings refers to the mobile numbers or your alternate email address that you’ve provided while registering for your outlook email account or alternatively added later on.
So, what does it do?
Most of the users are still unknown why they have to provide the mobile numbers while signing up. So, the answer is, it helps you to verify your account. And in the case of Hotmail, you need to verify your identity each and every time you make some changes in your account, weather you want to change your password or change the display name, you need to verify your identity. So, if you have provided any of these i.e. alternative email address or mobile number, Microsoft will send a special one time code to that account and you need to verify it
But I haven’t provided my number nor the alternative email address. That means am I not eligible for the update and change?
There’s always an alternate ways to do the things right. So, in this case, Microsoft will provide you with the 25 character long code that you need to keep it safe and use it in the verification purpose.
I guess you all might have a perfect picture of what is security settings in Hotmail account and how does it operate.
So, lets move on to the topic, how to change or update the security settings in your Hotmail account?
- Sign in to your account. if you don’t know how to do that, learn it from here.
- From the right hand corner of your page, click on your display image.
- From there, click on “View Account”. This will redirect you to your account page.
- Now from this page, select “Security” from the menu bar.
- Click on “Update Info” under “Update your Security Info” box. As I’ve said earlier, before you make any changes in your account, you need to verify your identity. So, verify it properly.
- After the successful verification, you can now update your security settings.
So, these are the simple process for updating your settings. If you have any queries or any doubts, feel free to contact us.