Choosing the strongest password wont help you to keep your account safe. The best option is to activate two step verification process. This allows the users to enter the password and as well as the code that Microsoft sends to your desired mobile number. The process is long but much strict as well.
Now a days, one single Hotmail Sign in account can access all it’s service/product provided. For example, if someone knows your Outlook password, they can access your One drive, Skype, XBox, Office 365 and all the service that you use. So, it is your duty to activate the two step verification process in outlook for the better security that to cry for help in Hotmail customer care.
Activate Two Step Verification
Before moving in to the activation part, let us go through what is two step verification and how does it works?
As the topic states, two steps verification is the process of accessing your Outlook Account via entering your password and as well as the code at the same time.
And how does this works?
As soon as you activate this process, to login to your account you need to enter your email and password and also the code that Microsoft text your phone as soon as you enter your password and click “Sign in“. Enter the code and only you can access your account.
now, how to activate this beast?
- Follow this link to get to your security setting page.
- From this page, click on Setup two step verification. Scroll down a bit. Click on “more option” if the option is not visible.
- Now choose the method for verification process. In other words, how do you wish to get your code? Options are App, alternative email address and mobile number. Choose Mobile for the best performance.
We’ll talk about all 3 alternatives in a detailed process.
- If you wish to verify your identity with your mobile device, choose “A Phone Number” from the option.
- Now select the country code, and enter your number afterwards.
- Choose whether you like to get the code via text or call. Text is highly recommended as you’ll need to listen carefully for the numbers if you select call. And if you are living in a noisy area, it will be much more difficult to login. SO, better go with the TEXT.
- Click Next.
- Security Code will be sent to the mobile number that you entered for the verification process.
- Once you get the code, enter it as seen in the image below.
- Now your account will need two step verification to access.
- If you wish to verify your identity with an app, choose “An App” from the drop down option.
- Now choose in which device you want to install your app on. Choose any one from the 4 option available. Available options are: Windows Phone, Android, iPad, iPhone or iPod touch and Other. If you have any other phone like Blackberry or any other OS, select “Other”.
- It will give you the download link for that app (as shown in the image below). Download and install it. (I assume you can do it without any disturbances). In case you are confused, App name is “Microsoft Authenticator“.
- Once the app is downloaded and installed in your device, add your personal Microsoft information.
- Once you’re done adding information in your app, click on “NEXT” in this process.
- Now each and every time you login to your account, you’ll see this message popping in your screen (as shown in the image below), and once you approve the request for sign in from your app, you can access your account. This is the easiest and coolest method among the three.
The best thing about the Microsoft Authenticator is that you don’t need a internet or a mobile signal to approve your login to your Hotmail. It works at any condition. However, the process is somewhat different. In case of approving the sign in, you need to wait for a while, maybe 2 minutes, then you are asked to sign in with different methods. Click on “Enter the security code displayed on the app” and do as it is. Enter the code.
Remember, the code regenerates every time you open this app. You don’t need a internet or a proper mobile signal.
Alternate email address
- If you like to verify your identity via alternative email address, choose the same in the drop down option from the set up two step verification page.
- Now, enter your email address and click on “Next”.
- Hotmail will send you the code in that email address for the verification process.
- Enter the code and you’re done.
This process is somewhat lengthy compared to other two process. The thing here is, you need to open your other (alternative) email account to get the code. So, it take some time.
Therefore, it is highly recommended to choose mobile verification or App verification for the best experience. These two steps won’t take much time and can be done in few seconds. But if you need to travel a lot, App verification is the best option as it doesn’t need a mobile signals (where as mobile verification needs a mobile signal to receive a code).
Once you activate the two step verification, as said earlier, you need to enter the code every time you login to your account. This may be a hectic sometimes. Therefore, to get away with that, you can add your device to the list of trusted devices by checking “Don’t ask me again on this device“.
What this does is, it you won’t need to enter the code while logging in to your account via that device. But if you are accessing it with other devices, code is a must.
It is better to turn on two step verification process rather than to choose the strongest password for your account and forget it on the second day of signing in. If you have an important and private documents in your inbox or One Drive, turn on this beast. Gone are the days where strongest passwords will save you from being hacked.