Did you know that you can monitor your child activity on the web and also control them? Well, if you haven;t heard about the Microsoft Child account system, this article is the one for you.
Here, we’ll be talking about how to add a child account on your personal Hotmail Account in full detail and how to monitor and control your child web activities as well.
For all these aforementioned process you need to have a Hotmail login account first, if you have it, cool. But if you don’t, please consider creating an account first.
But still if you are confused on Child Account, here’s the detailed explanation from the Hotmail team itself “At Microsoft, a child account is defined as any Microsoft account that’s affiliated with an adult Microsoft account when the age of the child or teen is less than the age of majority for his or her country. When this is the case, the child must be linked to an adult’s Microsoft account in order to participate in the Xbox Live service.”
Now I think you get the whole point of creating a child account and monitoring your children.
Good. So, what shall I do to make it work?
All you need is your Hotmail account and your children’s account; add it to your family group and adjust the settings. That’s it.
Now, let me explain this whole process in much more detailed way.
Add Microsoft Child Account
- First of all, login to your Hotmail account. We assume that you are well known about the sign in process.
- Now, from the inbox page, click on your display picture (from the upper right corner of the page).
- Select View Account. This will take you to the account management page. You can change your display picture, change your password from this page as well.
- Now, from the menu bar, click on the Family menu.
- Now, from this page, click on Click to Add a Family Member Button. See the image below for more assistance.
- As you click on the button, enter the email address of your kid. Also, select whether the email address is of kid’s or adult (If you select Child, you can adjust the setting and view the web activities of that account). Lastly fill up the captcha form as well. Once the form is well filled, Click on “Send invitation” button.
Note: If your child doesn’t have an active email address, you can easily create one from the same box. Just click on “Create one for them” link and fill the required fields.
- Once the invitation has been sent to the email address that you entered as a child, it needs to be accepted first. So, if the invitation has been rejected by that email address, you can’t add it in your family groups.
- So, that’s it. Once the invitation is accepted, you can easily monitor your child’s activity and adjust the settings for that account.
How to change settings in Child Account?
You can easily monitor your child’s web activity via Hotmail Child Account. The best part is, you can set a limit on these account so that you can easily keep an eye on your child. So, how to do it?
- Login to your Hotmail account.
- Click on your Display Image from the right corner of the page and select View Account.
- Now, click on Family from the menu bar.
- Now this is the page where you can customize the settings, overlook the email’s activity. Overall, this is the page where magic happens!As you can see in the image above, there’s two email address, one is Child and the below one is Adult. Click on the link below the Child’s email for the aforementioned activity.
- Check Recent Activity: Click on this if you like to see the recent activity of that account. If you want to get the reporting turn on the Actively reporting option. All the data’s are collected from Windows 10 PC and Mobile and XBox One. View the image below for more assistance.
- Web browsing: This is the best option to use to keep an eye on your child. This will allow you to block all the inappropriate websites. Which means, adult sites are completely blocked and safe search is ON. Furthermore, there’s other option too. You can only allow the websites that you list here. So, if you want to follow this, click on “Only see websites on the allowed list”. And add the list of websites in the box below and click on apply. This will not allow your child to view the sites other than you listed. This option is much handy if you need to control your kids from using social media sites a lot and have a quality family time instead.
- Screen time: This allows the users to set the maximum amount of time per Xbox/PC your child can play/use each day, or set multiple time slots per day. If you want to set the limits then turn it on. Once you turn it on, fill up the weekly time table. You can set a daily allowance and time allowed. See the image below for more understanding.
- Apps, Games and Media: This option is as much similar as “Web Browsing” that we talked in number 2. Here, you can block the apps, games and media from your kid. Games, Apps and Media has a age restriction mentioned in proper manner. So, all you need to do is select the age group appropriate contents that your child can buy or download or stream content from stores in Windows and Xbox.
- Purchase and Spending: Here, you can transfer money to your child’s account so that s/he can purchase contents from Windows Store and Xbox. To do so, click on the “Add money to their Account” and transfer it. However, you can clearly monitor the purchase history and choose the contents that they can buy/download. For example, you can choose if they can buy all the games and apps or only download the games or none. Also, you will get notified once your child gets an app or games, just tick on the option and you’ll get those notification.
- Find your Child: This option let’s you track your children location with just a click. But this is only applicable if your child has windows 10 Mobile Phone. Also, this option “show the location of your child’s device“can only be turned on when they’ve signed into it.
If you want to remove the email address from the group, just click on More option> Remove from Family.